Sunday, October 3, 2010

*This* is what marriage is all about.

I have a really great real husband. 

He's not perfect.  I don't expect him to be perfect.  Sometimes he drives me crazy.  Of course, sometimes my mom drives me crazy, and my kids do too, my siblings... all people I love unconditionally.  So that doesn't count.  He's great.  And I love him.
I have at times worried about being a burden on my husband.  I am not physically capable of doing all I feel I ought to do as a homemaker.  I wish to be able to do the laundry, make regular meals, shuttle the children around, arrange play-dates, have guests over, do the dishes... the usual stuff.  But my body has different ideas.  So instead of coming home to a tidy house and dinner he ends up coming home to help get something for us all to eat and make sure all the right meds have been taken at the right times.  We've spent thousands of dollars this year alone on medical costs for me instead of ever going on a family vacation, paying off the washing machine, or other such exciting ventures. 
With all this on his plate, let me share a moment tender to me from when I was in the hospital that depicts marriage as it should be.



One day after a mandatory walk around the surgical floor I was whimpering in anticipation of getting back into bed.  I could sit down on the bed, and it was inclined up as far as possible to a sitting position.  But I still had to lean back against the top part of the bed.  It doesn't sound like much, but it was enough.  Too much. I sat and I turned and got both legs onto the bed, but was afraid to lean back.
My husband leaned down and wrapped his arms around me tightly.  He said "It's okay, just trust me.  Let go."  Not without a little anxiety I relaxed my muscles and he gently leaned me back against the bed with as little pain as I ever felt.
After that there were several more times he helped me get back into bed.  I learned to trust him.  He did everything possible to ease my pain. 

Isn't that how marriage should work?  Not just with stitches, but with everything.  We should be wrapped up enough in each other that at any time we can say "It's okay, just trust me" and rely completely on the other to take your burden as their own.  Likewise we should be ready at any time to take the burden of our spouse.  Ease the pain.  Any pain.  Difficultly at work?  Hard day at home?  Personal crisis of any sort?  Ones spouse should be a foundation there to hold them up.  Complete honesty makes it easy to trust each other.  And when you each find times of pain there is someone to ease you back to comfort.

Married?  Be this person for your spouse.  Not married?  Hold out until you find someone who will be this person for you.  It's worth it.  Trust me.

6 comments:

Corilee said...

What a sweet discourse on a really great husband, father and son. I agree, he is the best!!!

Loves,
Mither

nora.lakehurst said...

That is the best entry. It is true that marriage should be that way. I feel that way with Seth . He is honestly the best person for me and I feel like I can trust him completely.

Jenn said...

What a sweet post. Thanks for loving my brother so much!

Stacey said...

You just had to write this post while Adam was out of town. Now I'm verklempt. ;)

Thanks for sharing this post. :)

GoofyJ said...

Beautiful post Janelle - just beautiful and so true.

Bugg's mama said...

sooooo very sweet!