Friday, October 8, 2010

Octoberfest-ive


A few weeks ago (yes, in September) I got to take Lizzie and Sabrina with me to go to Octoberfest up at Snowbird Ski Resort.  We went with Grandma and met Amy (with baby BJ) and Joe was a featured performer.  He plays with a group called Polkatonics every weekend for about a year and a half in the fall.  It was a beautiful day to be in the mountains and we had a great time.
Once things were officially open at noon we entered the Big Tent where all the live entertainment happens.  There's also lots of overpriced food and beer.  (We brought our own picnic and ate it in the performer's room between Joe's sets.)  I love the expression on BJ's face above.  How would *you* feel if you woke up to blaring polka music?!  (Note: BJ is not "Baby Jensen's" actual name.  Just an abbreviation convenient for use online until it's legal to use his actual first name.)
There was a dance floor available which was not yet in use, so Sabrina took advantage of the opportunity to cut a rug:



 Joe in full polka garb (the right name for it is beyond my spelling capability tonight and the battery is dead on the wireless mouse to run spell-check.  Yes, that's how lazy I am.) playing on stage.  They played a 50 minute set, took a set off, played again, etc.  There were some other activities between sets, such as:
 Musical Chairs!  All children under 12 were invited to play and they all won a prize.  Lizzie was sullen about playing in the first place (she was feeling very independent that day) but was delighted with her kazoo she won after the first few rounds.  Sabrina, despite her "carpool lane" technique (see her running around the outside of everyone else?) did very well.  Of 20 or so kids she was one of the last 5 or 6.  She got more and more moody as the game went on.  She was sulking and pouting.  Finally we figured out she thought she was losing!  Everybody else would get out and get a prize and she was still stuck running in circles!  When she finally got out she was so delighted she had the whole tent in stitches.
 During some "down time" we played on the floor of the quiet air conditioned players' room with BJ and back in the tent we did the chicken dance (Grandma and Sabrina can be seen above doing it together).  Lizzie and Sabrina found a head-in-a-hole photo spot and required the photo shoot.  I'm so proud...?  LOL   Not my favorite caricature.
 I was about to take a picture of Sabrina and she decided to hide behind her water bottle.  I happened to get this series of shots of her taking a drink which focused so perfectly I love them.
 We chose this particular weekend to go up because Joe was filling in on the alp horn.  After a demonstration of the alp horn in the Big Tent (picture near the bottom) the three alp horns (with players) travelled up on the tram to play at the top of the mountain.  We bought tickets for the tram and waited... and waited... and waited...  and barely missed being on the same tram as the horns!  Fortunately we caught the next tram and made it to the top before they started playing.
 They offered photo-ops for people with them.  Which we took full advantage of, naturally.  It was beautiful to see and hear!  In the collage above the middle picture on the left -- I know it looks kinda random.  Lizzie is at the front of the picture with the alphorn players.  She had pulled out her kazoo and was playing perfectly along with them!  I didn't have a chance (with my cane and all) to get to a better angle for a picture, but that's why.  It was awesome.



 Amy and BJ at the top of the world.  I love a mega-zoom camera :)
Below: the rest of us enjoying the view too.

 My favorite alp horn picture I got.  I took this during the demonstration in the Big Tent.
 Ye olde family

This weekend is the last weekend of the festival I believe.  For all of you who missed it, that's a shame.  We had a wonderful time!  There was also a craft fair with all sorts of vendors set up outside, a yo-yo artist (we got a little private show in the performer's room!), hula-hoopers and all sorts of great stuff!

And you're welcome.  I only shared about half of my picture!!!  It was a very photogenic event.

No comments: