Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Candids: Day 6

A photo of an animal you'd love to keep as a pet.

I love animals.  I grew up with lots of animals around.  We had a cat who was a superb mouser (there are certain joys of living in an old farmhouse, one of which involves loving having a good mouser).  We always (not literally, just in my memory) had at least one dog.  We often had some variety of snakes, frogs, lizards, and aquatic critters.  I believe there was a hamster or two.  A few times we even did orphanage service to lambs.  The lambs that were either without a mother or for some reason the mother couldn't/wouldn't care for the lamb.  We'd bottle feed them, keep them warm, give them exercise, and all that good stuff.  They were lots of fun (even though sometimes I was scared of them).

But what about now?  Well, right now we're renters still, so what we want doesn't get to have much input on how life is lived.  And Michael absolutely does NOT want to ever have a dog.  Sad, but I guess I'm fine with not having poop to clean up in the yard.  In the last couple of years my crazy body became highly allergic to cats.  We always thought we'd have a cat, but those are right out now.  Even if I became un-allergic to cats I'd be worried about getting one because I couldn't stand the thought of having to give it up if my allergies returned.  And I can't live life with blistered eyeballs, rashes, and sneezing every three seconds. 

There is an animal I'd like a few of.  It woudln't be cheap to get it started, but if we had the set-up I'd like then we'd have a few fun little pets , no need for chemical fertilizers ever, and fresh eggs.  I bet you can guess what it is.  Cause I don't know many animals people may keep around that they'd want fresh eggs from.




I'd love to have an "ark" chicken coop -- it's the kind that is mobile.  You move it every couple of days so there's not a lot of poop to clean up in any one spot.  Instead you get your grass fertilized one section at a time and the chickens have a fresh spot to pick bugs and other nom noms from.  I saw a set up available for sale off craigslist a few months ago, but they wanted something like a thousand bucks for their complete set.  I know quite a few people actually who have chickens and really enjoy it.  I am technically allergic to feathers, but they'd be outside so it wouldn't be a problem for me like a shedding cat would.  I just have a strict no rooster policy.  I like my sleep.  And my neighbors. 

No comments: