Monday, June 7, 2010

Today I learned...

that cayenne pepper stops bleeding, and fast! 

We went on a walk this afternoon with the neighbors -- 3 mamas with 3 children each.  We walked a few blocks away to where there are a few horses in a pasture.  Two horses were already near the fence and the third came trotting over when he noticed visitors.  The kids had a great time feeding the horses handfuls of grass through the fence.


Unfortunately there was an older fence a few feet further out that's mostly squished down and covered over by grass.  Kate's flip-flop caught on it and a barbed wire part tore the bottom side of her baby toe :(  Blood EVERYWHERE.  It was quite impressive, really.

(I'll spare you pictures of the gaping wound or blood soaked sandal ;) )

My neighbor ran home and brought the van back with some antiseptic, cayenne pepper, bandaids and bandages.  Her sister helped rinse off Kate's foot while I helped her calm down so she could see how small the cut was compared to the blood covering her foot.  The bleeding had slowed down by the time Rachel got back with the van.  After cleaning the wound more thoroughly it was bleeding a bit again so she applied some cayenne pepper.  Simple and straight from the spice cupboard!  The bleeding stopped immediately.  I think I'll get a bottle to put in our 72 hr. kits.  Good stuff. 

After she was all bandaged up Kate felt much happier and got a ride home in the van with her friends :)

On a random side note -- this sudden hot weather has made the roses bloom! 

1 comment:

Stacey said...

OW! That hurts my toe just thinking about it. That is a cool remedy,I'll have to keep it in mind.