Saturday, June 12, 2010

Eating Fresh!

Recently as a family we've been improving our eating habits.  Not that the girls haven't been eating candy all afternoon that they got at the parade, but that the quality of the good food we eat is improved as is the variety.  In order to improve our eating and break us out of some "grab a can of green beans" habits, I did a little research and found a food co-op that looked severely tempting.  I have discovered since then that I know many people who use various co-ops for fresh fruits and vegis, some who were even familiar with the one I had chosen!  So the last two weeks we've taken part in the co-op.  Here's my personal review of Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op



Ease of use: Pretty Good.
Looks like they've been updating their site lately.  There's a limited window to place orders and I've learned that I have to pay attention of I miss out!  My area sells out every time.  I have an alarm set on my phone on Monday evenings to remember to get online to make my "contribution".

Price: Great.
I pay $15 per "basket" or portion of fruits and vegis.  Today I weighed our haul to see how much we got.  It weighed a whoppin' 35 lbs!!!  Good thing I have a strong laundry basket!  They also offer an "organic" option.  For $10 more all your produce is certified organic.  I'm fine with the pesticides :P but I like having the option.

Availability: Good to Great.
Bountiful Baskets exists in several states now.  For those with nothing very close you can go through a process to open your own site.  Here in Utah they seem to have decent coverage.  Springville isn't a particularly large town, but we have two separate times available every week with over 90 basket each and they sell out every time.  I did notice, though, that there are no sites available in Provo, which is just to the north and a much larger city.  Maybe that's part of why we're so busy?  Or do Provo-ites not eat fresh produce?  ;)  (I have plenty of family who lives in Provo.)




Variety: Great so far!
Today we got the following: bananas, apples, grapes, canteloupe, peaches, apricots, coconuts, red potatoes, string beans, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, celery, and broccoli.
Last week we had bananas, apples, grapes, peaches, romaine lettuce, and tomatoes also.  The other items were different.
A majority of the produce is stuff that we're used to and can easily use.  There seems to be the occasional less common item like the fresh coconut or last week's baby bok choy.  The girls are LOVING having fresh peaches with lunch and grapes to munch on during the day, just to name a couple.
The co-op also has random deals from time to time.  This week I could have ordered tortillas in a variety of types or some fancy schmancy cakes, or specialty breads.  They also had a "fiesta pack" of produce that would make great Mexican foods or salsas. 

Quality: Comparable-to or better-than store bought.
Last week's tomatoes were beautiful and ripe.  Absolutely delicious!  This weeks are sadly not very red yet.  The peaches, however, look absolutely perfect.  And last week's corn on the cob was as good as any I've tasted.  So I suppose it varies somewhat.  I'd say that overall I'm more happy with it than the options I usually see at WalMart (I avoid produce there) and as happy with it as the produce I see at Ream's (which we love). 

Overall: I think Bountiful Baskets is great for our family!  We need the variety in our diets and I just wasn't getting it done with my poor over-worked brain, lol.  I create our foods around the produce we have available instead of basing meals on whatever meat I feel like defrosting.  Today's basket of food cost us overall approximately $0.43/lb. too which I love.  A great price always makes food taste better to me :P 

My Favorite Part:  The pickup window for us is only 20 minutes early on Saturday morning (before 8am!)  That's not my favorite part.  Even though I've planned to go, my sweet husband who has already been awake has let me sleep in instead and he's taken one of the girls with him.  Last week was Sabrina and this week was Kate.  He says that next week will be Lizzie's turn.  They go with Daddy and stand in line to pick up the produce, then go together to the store to do the rest of the grocery shopping.  I get to sleep in and they have an awesome Daddy-Daughter time!  Priceless :)


NOTE: I've written two posts nearly back-to-back today.  Don't miss out on the parade pictures, keep scrolling down or click "older posts".

No comments: