Wednesday, June 3, 2009

BYU Museum of Art / Bean Museum (no beans involved)

Today was our first weekly summer "field trip". My girls are so excited! We don't get to go next week cause of... shocking, I know... another doc appt. for me >rolls eyes<. The girls had a great time, though they were a little "enthusiastic" at times (read: exhausted and cranky Mama). It wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't in so much pain, but more on that in a moment...
Let me find some pictures:










After running a few errands (more on that in a few days, sorry to leave ya hanging, but it's a surprise and I can't say it here or it won't be a surprise anymore!) we got home for a bit. Sabrina managed to break one of my fancy decorative pot thingies by my front door -- the kind that costs $55 or something like that. I paid $5, of course, but it's a matter or principle! Then I had my visiting teaching to do -- so my partner and I dropped off the 5 little girls between the two of us at my neighbor's house (she is RS president so she'd offered to babysit while we do our visiting teaching). When we got back there were all 5 of our kids plus one of the neighbor's all lined up on the porch swing eating Popsicles. It was so cute! Yes, I did blur the faces of the not-my-kids cause they're not mine :P



The less interesting and non-photogenic news that I just have to get out of my system is this: I STILL have a kidney stone. Same dang stone. Yes, I have had the stone for going on 7 months now. Yes, I have had "extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy" And not only once either! I've had dozens of doctor's appointments, innumerable xrays, two ct scans, two "surgeries"... (they call lithotripsy a surgery even though it isn't invasive. It does include general anesthesia and a fair bit of pain, so I guess it makes some sense.) and the same stone is still there. It is smaller, but still there. And the pain? DEFINITELY still there.
I work very hard to not rely on pain meds, but sometimes there's not much of a choice. Since it has been so long, though, the nurse practitioner I've been seeing decided it's time for something other than lortab. He says that the stone "isn't causing the pain" because it's "too small and not obstructing". He thinks it's a case where there's a nerve that's too excited about hurting so it just won't calm down even though there is no cause anymore -- in his opinion.
However... since I've also been diagnosed with IC (interstitial cystitis) I'm on Urelle on occasion. It's one of those fun ones where you can tell when it has passed. The last couple of times it has taken 3 or 4 days to pass where before it took 5 or 6 hours. So he says there's no obstruction. I say... uh, are we SURE?! I don't want to zap a nerve to make it shut up if we really ought to listen to it!
So now I"m waiting to hear back from the actual doctor (who I have seen too) so I can get his feedback before I commit to chronic pain therapy. Michael isn't too happy about it either because he read this story the other day which understandably made him a little nervous.
I don't think I"m gonna lose any limbs ;) I just want to make sure we're following up on what my body is trying to say. As Michael put it -- if a girl with her organs all mixed up in her body can live to reach 6 where the doctors said there was "little chance she would survive birth", then just maybe I could have a now-small kidney stone that causes a great deal of pain. Ha.
Okay, I think I've vented enough now. Time to see Michael off for his business trip. (ain't that the icing on the cake?)

2 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

SORRY you are alone and hurting. At least you get to see me at the park today. :D see that has to make it the best. :D

Stacey said...

It looks like the girls had a fun day!

So sorry about the pain and being alone. That's gotta be hard. :(