Saturday, December 31, 2011

December Overload

Here we go again.  If my life was to flash before my eyes, I'm sure it would be in photo collages with snippets of text for each one.

First, a few single pictures:

A picture Kate drew after the girls watched The Princess Bride for probably the 4th time in a row.  They're quite fond of it.

This bit of packaging (I don't even remember what it was from) was really too small to fit a cat, but it didn't stop Ginger from trying frequently to make herself fit in it.  It really cant' have been comfy!

Kitties for Christmas!

This is at the nickelcade.  I thought it was an interesting commentary on daddies bringing up the next generation of ladies ;)

And now for photo overload:

I was really sick for a couple of days at the beginning of the month thanks to medication issues.  Sabrina made us a picnic this afternoon so I could eat something.

We treked out to the Shops at the Riverwoods to see the Christmas lights.  It was amazing!  Heaters on the sidewalks, lights everywhere, live music... and even Santa.

(In Santa's house during his break)

(Inside Blickenstaff's -- a crazy cool toy store)
 (Back to see Santa)
 (Then we discovered Provo Beach Resort!  We checked it all out then played a few arcade games.)

We did our best to get a picture of our nursery kids from this last year and I made them a photo card to stick in their scrapbooks too.  These kids are so fun!


One night the moon was just beautiful!  I wanted to try to get a good picture of it, but by the time I found my tripod it was still pretty, but not as spectacular.  Oh well.  It was fun to mess with the settings on my camera anyway.  Then I brought the setup inside to photograph the tree.  Sierra and Ginger were most curious about the tripod and kept attacking it.

This wooden box had sunflowers in it during the summer, then I swapped them out for poinsettias.  Then someone put the sunflowers back in the box too O.o  Then Sierra climbed in the check it out!

I finally got a couple of pictures of our fish.  See that tetra on the left?  Its body actually IS that crooked.  No idea why.  We've had him for quite a while and he seems healthy enough -- just wonky.  On the right you can see our new algae eater named Goldie II (the original Goldie was too happy and outgrew being friendly with the tetras so we took her back to the fish store and bought the smaller one.)  Bottom right is the black fin shark guy.  We named him Tim.  Sadly he only lasted a couple of hyperactive weeks.  Poor Tim.

On our way to Salt Lake to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert the clouds were blanketed most uniquely across these mountains.  I don't know if it really gets across in the pictures, but I tried.

Michael and I loved the concert!  This was the day before our 11th anniversary and it made a great date.  We planned to go to dinner before-hand, but due to construction and such there was no option but a severely understaffed McDonalds.  It took 30 minutes to get our food which we then had to bolt down as quickly as possible.  Bummer.  We made up for it later with good food the next day :)

I just like these moments with my girls.  Lizzie had fallen and lightly skinned her knee.  Kate was doing such a good job taking care of her I just stepped back and let them be.  Kate supported her all the way upstairs where she washed the knee and applied a drop of lavender oiil.

One Friday night the girls got to have a sleepover at Grandma's house.  In the morning they even made gingerbread cookies decorated with candy.  See?  Our whole family in gingerbread :)

During this Christmas vacation we went as a family on a unique sort of activity -- we hung out at the Nickelcade :)  It was great fun!  It was a fun variety from the usual activities.

Earlier this month (sorry, these get a bit out of order apparently) we stopped by DI (thrift store) mostly just for the heck of it.  We happened across a really nice looking bike for me and a great one for Kate for $22 all together!  Mine is really a couple of inches too small for me, but it works fine for now.  I've had fun bicycling with the girls around the neighborhood!  Oh, and do you like Lizzie's orange streak?  It's just one of those clip in hair things, not dye ;)

My family gathered together the Sunday before Christmas, as usual.  My brother and his family shared a family history project they'd put together for us from papers they'd been given by a relative.  It's a fabulous set of stories, artwork, and life work!  Then we sang a few Christmas carols (some with ukulele accompaniment) and ate lots of tasty goodies.

We made it to our drive-through trip to the Festival of Lights in Spanish Fork.  The girls love the (very local) radio station that plays non-stop Christmas music for you to listen to while driving through.  As usual, a great way to get into the Christmas mood.

Since we missed Christmas Day at the Southern home they came by and visited us just afterward to give us our presents and share what they wanted us to remember this year.  The girls were delighted with new blankets and fun toys.  We got some more family preparedness things which will be of good use to us!

Last tidbits: I finally was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a couple of months ago.  This is, in large part, why things kinda fell apart again.  Finding out the whys and hows for some of the ways my body freaks out has been useful.  Even better has been the fact that there are now medications available for this condition.  After getting over the initial side effects of the medications I've found that they take care of probably 80% of the pain and complications due to fibromyalgia.  Never before had I experienced such overwhelming pain.  I've had severe pain, I've had widespread pain.  But having both at once is utterly stupefying.  Now that it is managed the flares come in fits and starts and are not as unbearable.  I have also found some ways to manage the pain (heat, essential oils, rest, baths, lots of sleep, etc.) that have really helped.  So in the end: it's good news.

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve.  I think I managed to catch up the pictures and brief moments from our lives this year.  It has been a wonderful year.  Full of trials but overwhelmed with blessings and miracles.  Overall 2011 was a great one for us.  We look forward to continuing to grow together as a family through 2012.

No comments: