Friday, December 17, 2010

Mama Fail.

 Last night wast he much awaited night. Kate and I had tickets to go hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert with David Archuletta.  She was super excited, and I was looking forward to it also.  We were starting to get ready when Michael (via his sister who travels that way often) pointed out that we needed to leave about 5 minutes ago.  So we pulled on our clothes and ran out the door.  Traffic in Utah County was awful.  It took us over an hour to get to 10000 S. in Sandy to the end of the Trax lightrail line!  (Instead of maybe 45 minutes).  Just as we were headed out the door I noticed Kate was wearing her fanciest shoes (peep toe kid-pumps) and no tights.  She couldn't find tights.  Mine had a run in them, so I wasn't wearing any either.  As I yanked on my high heeled boots one of the zippers broke.  I managed to get it put back together, but throughout the evening it kept slipping down.  Obnoxious.

So we got to the Trax station and parked in the middle of nowhere, because that's the only available place. 

 We RAN to the ticket machine, purchased two round-trip tickets, and jumped on the train.  It left within just a few minutes. 

 The two of us on the train:
We had a nice ride up to Salt Lake.

  Unfortunately we second guessed ourselves, believed someone else, and got off a stop early.  Long run to the conference center.   Zip back up my boots, and find the right line.  By this time it was about 15 minutes before the concert was supposed to start.  They start filling in seating, though, 30 minutes before start time so we knew we had to keep out fingers crossed.
A sweet lady standing in line by us loaned Kate a pair of gloves.  We shivered and talked and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Finally they told us the conference center was full and that there may be room in the theater or tabernacle for the simulcast.  We waited in line for a while by the theater with Kate wrapped with me in my coat.  Finally we decided we weren't going to make it, it was just too full :(
We were going to go walk in a nearby mall for a bit, get some hot chocolate, then catch the train back to where the car was parked.  Easy enough right?
Nope.  The malls are all closed since downtown is being revamped.  By the time we figured this out we were even COLDER and standing by the trax stop.  We hopped back on the train.
See how red Kate's poor feet were?
 Okay, you can't really, but trust me -- it was bad.  
Here is Kate saying "COLD!"
 I looked on the maps on my phone and determined that the train had a stop at Fashion Place West which appeared to be right by Fashion Place mall.  Perfect!  So we got off the train there.
The train left.
It was very dark.
No mall in sight.
I checked the schedule: despite the fact a train goes by every 15 minutes there was only one that stops every hour!  Oh shoot.
Check the cell phone map again.  Curse you, Google Maps!!!!!
We were in a dark, unfamiliar, kinda creepy residential area.  And my cell phone was getting low on battery.  
We couldn't sit there for an hour in the cold (temperature was in the teens).so we started walking.  It was a full mile to the mall with nothing closer really to stop in.  We went as fast as we could... which wasn't always super fast since we had to cross over the freeway on a sidewalk that was coated with ice.  It was not the most graceful crossing.
We ran the last bit (yes, in heels!) into Sears.  We asked at customer service where the restroom was (the farthest away corner, of course), then stopped to get Kate a hat, gloves, and the warmest tights we could find.  Alas, the ladies wear was super spendy, so I just made do.  At least Kate was going to be more comfortable.
We grabbed the items then hurried to check out -- we still had to hurry back to the train station before the 10:04 train came by (we were dropped off at 9:04).  The mall closed at 10:00 so if we missed the 10:04 train we'd be sitting outside in the cold until 11:04!  
We slipped and slid back across above the freeway and practically ran to make sure we didn't miss our ride.  We got to the stop at least 90 seconds before the train did.
 Cute hat at least!
We had no hot chocolate.  No cinnamon almonds.  No concert.  No relaxation.  When we got on the train: no sitting room.  We stood holding on to a pole trying not to fall into the stairwell.  

Hallelujah, we got back to the Sandy station!  But oh, it felt like so far to get to the far corner where the car was.  My feet were swelling, blistered, and frozen.  Not a comfy combination!  (I nearly bought some hard soled slippers at Sears to wear instead, but they didn't have "Bigfoot" sizes.)

The gas light had come on in the van on our way up, so we needed a gas station ASAP.  I was so focused on finding a gas station I missed the right turn.  So I executed a u-turn and got to the right place.  We found a gas station (yeah!!!) and got the car happier.  We were going to run in for some hot chocolate and a cookie or something, but just as I parked the car in front of the convenience store they shut off the lights!  Apparently they close at 10:28pm.  :(  So I pulled back on the road and discovered that once again, we'd gone too far.  One more u-turn and we finally found our way back to the freeway.

With the heater on (oh, blessed heater!) and some music playing we made our way back home.  We stopped once in Lehi at a gas station that deigned to stay open and got hot chocolate and a pack of Hostess cupcakes.
 We got home very late, very tired, still chilly, and ready for bed.  I have agreed to never again travel further than 1 mile away from Michael.  Or at least be with a responsible adult.  I'm apparently not worthy of the title.
I hear the concert was wonderful, and I look forward to hearing it next year, perhaps, when it comes out on CD.  In the mean time, we'll stick with the radio.

I'd like to point out one little twist to last night: it was Michael's and my 10th wedding anniversary.  He was at home babysitting the other girls so Kate and I could go to the concert.  >sigh<  At least we got home alive and in one piece.  I was a little nervous wandering around Sandy in the dark with my little girl.

This morning Michael and I went out on our hot anniversary date: we went to see Tron.  Since it's the big "One Decade" anniversary we sprung for the 3D glasses even.  We enjoyed the movie (okay, I was having a hard time staying awake at one point, but I blame that on hypothermia, and the residue of the anti-anxiety pill Michael dosed me with when I went to bed last night) and it was actually really cool in 3D.

Kate and Lizzie were at school, and Sabrina got to go play with Grandma.  When we got there to pick her up she was doing shape races with Grandma.  Here's a picture of Sabrina vs. Daddy.  It was a close game.

Here is the obligatory 17th of December 2010 photo of the burning Provo Tabernacle.  We were still a few blocks south of it, but saw this view on our way to Grandma's house to pick up Sabrina.  They're hoping to be able to enter it by tomorrow morning to determine what they can do with the building, but from the sound of it, the building is likely a total loss.  It was a beautiful pioneer structure and will be missed.

Tonight the girls played with Grandpa and Grandma while Michael and I went out to dinner.  We couldn't think of anything else to do, so we weren't gone for a very long time, but it was a nice break.  It's also a good thing because it started snowing pretty thoroughly on our way home.  It's still coming down decently well.  We may have a few inches by morning.  At least Kate and I aren't trying to slog through the snow tonight!

5 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

Sorry your night was a total FAIL. But you are not a Failure and not a bad mom. I am glad you were safe and got home in one piece. Love ya

Corilee said...

What a memory Kate will have about the night she went to the David Archeletta concert with the Tabernacle Choir -- I guess that should be worded with the Choir first, shouldn't it? Oh well...

ems said...

B. U. M. M. E. R. !!!!! I hate nights like that. So sorry it was so awful. Cute hat for Kate though! :)

Stacey said...

That sounds like a long frustrating night. I'm sorry you didn't make it to the concert. Kate looked darling in her new hat though. :)

Congrats on your anniversary!

Such a bummer about the tabernacle. :(

Jenn said...

Man, the whole story makes me even more sad for you. It sounds like just one comedy of errors after another. I'm so glad you two were safe though!

We left at 3:30 yesterday, waited in line for dinner at the Lion House, and then walked over at 5:30, thinking we wouldn't have to worry too much about lines. But the lines were already so long that we couldn't even find the end of any line for about five minutes. They were to the street and winding back. It was crazy! Thankfully we did finally get in and got a good seat. But I think next time they have a headliner like David Archuleta, I might decide to stay home that year. :)

Sorry for the novel in my comments!