Sunday, November 7, 2010

By popular request

Here is the recipe for spudnuts.  These are oh-so-good!!!  The ones I made the other day I make the "lazy" way -- I tossed the ingredients in the bread maker, rolled them out, then used a pizza cutter to quickly cut the dough into 1 or 1 1/2" squares.  May be less "cute" than standard round donuts, but they still tasted great.  The squares had some time to rise while I made the glaze, then heated the oil.

Spudnuts:
1/4 c. shortening
1 1/3 tsp. yeast
1 lg. egg
1/2 tsp. mace (or you can use lemon extract)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. prepared mashed potatoes (this is what gives the incredible texture)
1 c. lukewarm milk
3/4 tsp. salt
3 c. flour

Mix into soft dough. Let rise, punch down, the let rise again (double in size each time). Roll out to about 1/2" thick. Cut with a donut cutter -- or a ring from a quart jar, or whatever you have on hand. Either cut out a donut hole in the center or just make a slit with a knife and stretch slightly to leave a hole in the center.
Rise until fluffy and light.
Drop into hot oil, raised side down. Dip in glaze while still warm.

Glaze:
1 lb. powdered sugar (2 1/2 - 3 c.)
1 Tbsp. butter
little vanilla if desired
enough water to make a thin paste

- The dough can be prepared in a bread maker. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.

2 comments:

Dave & Melissa Southern said...

yumm-o! thanks for sharing! i think we'll be trying these this week. :)

ems said...

THANKS! I want to go make some right now because I am remembering how tasty they are! Hmm... I guess 8:00 in the morning might be a little early for sweets. (No, donuts are not part of a healthy breakfast no matter what people say) It does take time to raise though, maybe donuts for an after lunch treat. :) Thanks again, I'm excited.