Yes, I'm going to do a "boring" recipe post. Because I made this today and it was fabulous. Since I made it up as I went I want to get it written down so I don't forget! (I wrote the recipe in standard format at the end of my ramblings.)
Round about lunch time today I was poking around for something to eat and got a hankering for rice. BUT I didn't have the time to wait for "real" rice to cook. So here's what happened:
In my 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup I measured 1 cup water and 1 cup minute rice. I'm not usually a fan of Minute Rice as I don't care for the texture. I bought a little box of it for a "treat" for my rice-loving-Lizzie. I think this worked well because fried rice usually starts with cold cooked rice so the texture is a little different anyway. Maybe Minute Rice has texture like reheated rice? hmmm...
While the rice and water cooked in the microwave for 5 minutes I chopped up some ham (I had some leftover slices in the freezer left over from Easter). Then I pulled some green onions out of the window arrangement (best tip ever: keep your green onions in a vase of water in your kitchen instead of forgotten in a plastic bag in the crisper. I keep mine in pretty square bud vase. Some of them have been there for several weeks now and they still look and taste fabulous!) and snipped them up. I also pulled a partial bag of frozen peas out of the freezer.
While the rice is still cooking I heated up a skillet and added just a touch of oil. I tossed in the ham chunks and got them feeling good about life while the rice finished up. Once the microwave was done I poured the rice into the pan, added a couple handfuls of frozen peas, the sliced green onions, a spoonful of minced garlic (I keep a bottle of pre-minced garlic in the fridge. It's fabulous to have on hand for quick dishes like this.), and some seasoning -- a bit of sesame oil and a healthy dose of soy sauce. Once the mixture was nicely heated through (which takes about 20 seconds beyond the time it takes to drop things in there) I cleared a clean spot in the middle of the pan and cracked two eggs in. Scramble them up in the middle there, then mix it all together. Ta da!
In case you don't really want to read all my rambling, here's a simpler form of the recipe: all measurements are approximate except the rice and water which you can change however you want as long as the measurements are equal. I didn't measure anything else. This is really a how-you-like-it sort of recipe. If you can get mixed frozen peas and carrots that would up the nutritional value, though of course I avoid carrots like the plague ;)
7 Minute Fried Rice
1 cup Minute Rice, dry
1 cup water
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped ham
2 green onions, minced
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. soy sauce -- really just start with a little and add until it suits your liking.
2 eggs
In a microwave safe container combine rice and water. Microwave on High for 5 minutes or until water is all absorbed by rice. With one minute remaining for the rice, heat a medium sized frying pan on the stove. Add oil. Add ham and heat through slightly. Add finished rice, peas, onions and garlic. Stir together. Add sesame oil and soy sauce to taste. Mix to combine. Crack eggs into a small bowl and whisk slightly (I didn't do this, but it would have been a good idea). Create a well in the center of the rice mixture. Pour eggs in the well and cook until done (scrambled eggs). Stir all together. Done!

1 comment:
Take away the green onions and peas and this looks so yummy to me!!(yeah,I'm *that* picky)
I loove fried rice,especially with soy sauce. Delish!
Post a Comment