Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yummy Salad, Successful Milk!!!

This time I don't have pictures to share with you, but I *do* have recipes!  Okay, they're my style of recipes with no proper amounts :")  but they're worth sharing!

Cauliflower and Pea Salad
1 head of cauliflower cut into bite sized flourettes and rinsed
1/2 bag of frozen peas
chopped green onion (I didn't have any on hand, so I settled for onion powder)
chopped garlic cloves (again, I just used powder)
salt and pepper to taste
mayonnaise

Super simple.  Toss cauliflower, peas, and onion in a bowl.  In a small bowl stir together remaining ingredients, then mix it all together.  You may be surprised how tasty this is.  I was!  I'm now a believer :)


Rice Milk that actually resembles Milk!!!!!!!
1 c. rice (dry)
water to cook rice
plenty of other hot water (I used just hot from the tap)
bit of salt
bigger bit of sugar or other sweetener
dribble of vanilla

Cook the rice (I just tossed it into the rice cooker while I was making lunch for the kids)
When it's done but still hot,  put scoop of rice in your blender and add hot water.  It was probably about 2/3 c. of rice then filled to the 4 c. level with hot water from the tap.  Blend it till the cows come home.  Or at least until it's smooth (really doesn't take that long).  I then poured it through a strainer into a bowl (one with a pouring spout would have been nice, in retrospect)  Continue blending hot rice and hot water and straining into the bowl.  Add flavorings to the mixture to your liking.  Strain from the bowl into a pitcher or jug and refrigerate.

I got a bit of rice milk from the store (Rice Dream, I think it is) and it's okay.  My biggest problem with it is that it seems TOO sweet to me.  If you like the flavor of rice custard then this is something I bet you'll enjoy!

(Thanks for the recipes, Rachel!!!  You're a life saver!)

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm so glad it worked for you! You sure are learning a lot with this. I remember when I was on a special diet one time they had a really good recipe for almond milk. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Have fun experimenting!

Tami said...

Did you use brown or white rice?

Unknown said...

I used the plain cheap white rice I have by the bucket in my food storage. There are tons of varieties of rice available in bulk at the health food store. I think one of these days I'll try out a few of them to see how they differ and maybe find an ideal combination of rices. I've also heard of adding nuts to the blending process to add some nut milk too (almonds, cashew, etc.)