I did try making my own soy milk. I searched numerous recipes, gleaned tips and tricks, researched my health food store, and finally took the plunge.
I have almost used all of my quart of purchased soy milk by now. I've used it over cereal, added it to Pero, and had a small glass or two plain. I tried the original flavor so I could better compare the prepared stuff to my homemade stuff. It is so expensive that I really want an alternative.
Saturday afternoon I set the beans to soaking. Sunday afternoon I set to work. I carefully made sure the bean hulls all came off and were discarded to make the flavor milder, which took nearly an hour. I ground batch after batch of soaked soy-beans with water in my blender which leaked all over. I put them in my big pan and painstakingly stirred and monitored it to prevent scorching while it came to a boil. By that point I was pretty sure it stank.
I added a bit of orange rind (carefully excluding the bitter pithy part) in order to further neutralize any lingering beany taste. I added sugar and a touch of salt as per the recipes and recommendations. And I let it cool a bit, cracking the door open a bit to wash the bean stink out of the house.
Finally I got a square of unbleached muslin from my fabric stash (clean with no fabric softener) and lined a colander with it. I poured batch after batch of pulpy juicy into the colander, gathered the edges of the cloth and "milked" the juice through the fabric, leaving only bean fragments behind. I burned my hands trying to just finish it and dripped "milk" on the counter and dropped bean fragments on the floor.
After the milk had cooled further I carefully transferred it to a sealed glass pitcher in the refrigerator. I decided to wait until it was thoroughly chilled to really taste it so I could try to keep a proper perspective. It had a beautiful creamy color and texture and I tried to keep an open mind.
When I opened the pitcher for a taste it stank like beans. It tastes more like fresh green bean soup than anything like milk. Gag! I tried warming it up and adding it to sugar and cocoa powder like the hot chocolate I once drank. No amount of sugar and cocoa could mask the flavor.
So here's my personal experience: Homemade soy milk is sick and disgusting. I can handle the store bought stuff, but this half-gallon of headache is going down the drain. And now I need to go scrub the pots, bowls, colander, counter top, floor, and wash a load of laundry with the offended cloth. What a mess!
Next stop: rice milk. It can't be any worse, right?
5 comments:
Yeah.. soy and I do NOT get along. My tummy hurt worse with that stuff. Rice milk not bad. horcheta (??Spelling) is good too. Good luck
Thanks for the smile your cute post gave me. Sorry to smile when you're having such a rotten outcome to your efforts but it sounded like a Charlie Brown type of experience.
Better luck next time.
I don't know who "Pops" is but this is Corilee writing. The least it could have said was "Moms said....
We drink rice milk. Would you like to try some? Also almond milk is easy as pie to make (mix up a handful of almonds in some water...you do need a good blender for that one) and surprisingly yummy and good for you.
So sorry about all that time and effort for nothing but a disgusting outcome. I guess at least now you know it doesn't work. :)
I too have made almond milk. It's not bad and doesn't take anywhere near as long as what you described. You might try that some time, but almonds can get a little pricey . I have seen them at Costco though, so that might be a good option.
Good luck with all of this. I sure hope it works out all the kinks with your health.
Post a Comment