Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rice Milk, take 1.

After the soybean catastrophe I thought I'd try my hand at rice milk.  After all, I have rice on hand so what's the risk?  Again I did my research, read comments on recipes, etc.  And once again it was a disaster LOL!  On the plus side, it was not nearly as nasty smelling as the soymilk.  On the negative side, there was no milk to it!  I ended up adding at least double the water the recipe called for and still got nothing better than a pot of glop.  I tried letting it sit in the cloth in the colander and still got nothing.  I tried squeezing it through the cloth and got a little gummy "sweat" beading through the cloth.  Ick!  The recipe didn't specify variety of rice for the milk so I suspect trying a different variety of rice may render a more positive result.

I'm not going to try the same recipe again though.  Thankfully I have received some great advice on how to make these things properly!  So stay tuned.  I may yet figure them out :)  That could mean that you won't get such entertaining photos as these of my culinary mishaps though.

No comments: