My family (aka the Jarbh family -- my mom, my siblings, and their families) celebrated the Chinese New Year yesterday (with a dash of Valentine's day mixed in) at our monthly family gathering. My oldest brother and his family have made some wonderful Chinese friends, spent quite a bit of time in China, and the parentals even take Chinese lessons (the language, that is) in anticipation of more visits there. We have had a chance to include some of their friends in various family gatherings and have really come to appreciate the culture, the food, and the language.
Since it was also Valentine's day yesterday there were a couple of activities to take that into account. Since it's a household of teenage boys, they don't typically go gung-ho on the holiday ;) The Chinese began wood block printing, which we had a chance to try. Instead of carving actual wood blocks (time consuming and not the safest activity for the young'uns) there were styrofoam blocks to make impressions on with pencils. Then they got a generous coating of paint and were printed onto paper. Many of these ended up being valentine's themed :)
Two other families got together earlier in the day and made cute woven heart shaped pouches for everyone with ribbon to make them into necklaces which were lots of fun.
My sister-in-law, Carol, read us a story about the Kitchen god and the beginning of candied melon which is a traditional treat shared at the New Year.
During the evening, we learned how to sing the song "Love at Home" in Chinese. The Chinese characters, with the Chinese words beneath each, were posted on the wall and we learned how to attempt each word. Coming from a family who has mostly studied European languages, this was a bit tricky! Since I'm still unable to sing, I took the opportunity to video the activity.
As a parting gift each child got a valentine from Grandma -- a traditional Red Envelope that contained a bit of money. It's a Chinese New Year thing, but worked beautifully as a valentine also! Each envelope also had a little note in it that said something great about the receiver.
When all is said and done... what's a Jarbh gathering without a little air-hockey :D
6 comments:
Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun!
That was fun to read and hear. I'm so glad you document these things. The rest of us are so terrible at that sort of thing...well, at least I am. :)
Looks like alot of fun. I LOVE chinese food. But sadly I cant eat most of it because of all the gluten that is in their food :( Oh well its life.
What a great family tradition. Might I suggest you get pictures of the adults as well as the children? It's fun to see how they change over the years.
I do have a lot of fun taking pictures and recording things. Then I can count all this stuff as my journal and feel less guilty about not writing in one :P
Mammalee -- I believe I have pictures of all the adults present, except for myself. The nice closeups I posted are mostly children (except my sister-in-law reading). And to put your mind at rest -- I did recently post a new picture of Michael and me on Facebook, so there is proof that I still have a face ;)
FUN! I love to see all the fun things you do! great pics too! Glad you all had a good time!
Post a Comment