I do like a good crust, but not too much of it. The thing I like about these baby pies is that the crust is VERY thin. It's more of a slightly crunchy wrapping for the filling than an overpowering floury cup.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Halloween all cooked up.
My mom had a gorgeous garden this year. Tomatoes, squash, peppers... I don't know what all else. There was so much delicious produce, though! One of the really fun parts is that she put in a some pumpkin plants. Enough pumpkins grew so there was one (or more) for each family. We got three small pumpkins off the "pie pumpkin" vine. The pie pumpkins are smaller, finer textured, and sweeter. Now that Halloween is over I've been wanting some pumpkin pie. So I found a recipe: http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php and gave it a shot with one of the pumpkins. Well, actually with 3/8 of a pumpkin. That made two shallow 9" pies. Besides the fact that I butchered the crust (bad idea to start reading one recipe and finish reading another recipe! Same basic recipe, but half the size.) it was good pie. So this morning I cooked the other two pumpkins and mixed up the other 5/8 of the first pumpkin into baby pies. I made crust for a double crust pie and rolled it really thin and lined two dozen muffin tin spots. A generous 1/3 cup of filling fits perfectly. Then I baked it up. I just finished eating one. Yum.
I do like a good crust, but not too much of it. The thing I like about these baby pies is that the crust is VERY thin. It's more of a slightly crunchy wrapping for the filling than an overpowering floury cup.


I do like a good crust, but not too much of it. The thing I like about these baby pies is that the crust is VERY thin. It's more of a slightly crunchy wrapping for the filling than an overpowering floury cup.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment