Monday, March 21, 2011

Packing, week 1

Packing has begun!

I sat down with my calendar last week and sketched in a 6 week plan (since I had 6 weeks until Moving Day) to have our house ready to go.  Last week was a short week, but it was dedicated to packing and cleaning the girls' rooms upstairs.  Their bedroom is almost entirely ready to go.  The walls have been washed, nail holes filled, etc.  I have a short list on a post-it stuck to the door of what is left to do in that room (including pulling out the bunks to wash the walls and vacuum the floor behind/under them, replacing the smoke alarm batteries... a handful of things like that).  The other room upstairs is about halfway done.  It's a pretty light-weight room, but I didn't manage to get as far done as I was hoping.


The girls are VERY excited about the move.  Lizzie spent all of last week asking if we could please just move TODAY.  Since "today" wasn't an option, I handed over a few boxes, and eventually some rags, and put them to work.  They love helping.  Though yes, it is less helpful to me in the big picture.  Some of these boxes are going to be exciting to open up.  I let each of them label one of their boxes.


The labels on the boxes indicate which room they will end up in and whether it goes upstairs or downstairs so our moving monkeys (aka helpful family) can easily chuck stuff in the right rooms without needing to stop for directions.


This week's Herculean task is the Family Room (including my desktop computer and all my craft / sewing things!).   I have several boxes done already, but I'm also really looking forward to some help that has been offered this week.


Our main goal, in organizing the packing so carefully, is to keep me as healthy as possible during this crazy time.  Stress makes me sick.  More stress makes me more sick.  And this is stressful!  So I'm working very hard to keep things as simplified and under-control as possible.  I am actually starting this undertaking with over two weeks of a severe viral infection going on.  I saw the doctor near the beginning to rule out strep.  I saw the doctor again today and was given hefty antibiotics to battle a secondary sinus infection.  I can't wait for them to kick in so I can sleep and breathe again!

2 comments:

ems said...

I'm so glad you guys got a house. It is BEAUTIFUL! And look at you go, packing 6 weeks early. Talk about being prepared! I'm excited to see the new place some day. The pictures look great!

Stacey said...

I hope you can take it easy and not stress too much. Good luck with the packing. (yay for little "helpers"!) :)