I did finally get to see the ENT doctor this morning. They were talking surgery because my ear tube has been in for about two years too long(!) until they got to really cleaning out my ear and found the tube. It had actually been pushed out of my ear drum by the infection! So on my third doctor (I started with the audiologist who said my ear looked awful and he'd let the NP do the cleaning, then the NP did some cleaning, took cultures, etc., but said she'd let the actual doctor do the ear tube removal, LOL) he managed to dig out the infection and get the tube out. THere is, of course, a perforation in my ear drum, but he said it's small and should (hopefully!) close up on its own. Part of the reason the tubes should only be in for 18 months max is that it can be harder for the hole to close up on their own the longer it waits. Worst case scenario (in regards to the ear drum) they would have to do surgery to patch my ear drum sometime after the infection is cleared. If they do that I'd probably have them take out my tonsils and adenoids at the same time (it has been recommended by a couple of docs, but isn't urgent). For now they gave me two more meds to take. Well, a refill on the steroid drops and a new RX for a super duper antibiotic. It's also super duper expensive! >gasp!< If I'm not on the mend by Monday then I'll have to go back in, but hopefully this $20/pill meds will help, lol.
So basically it's good news. It's still quite painful, but I know that's not going to just *poof* be gone, and after going to the instacare last night (the pain was just too much) I have a couple of lortab so at least I can get through the worst of it and manage some sleep while it finishes healing.
See, that wasn't too bad, was it? I really CAN write in shorter lengths than a complete novel!
It looks like out next major medical expense may have to be paying to get Lizzie's upper lip lasered.
;)
No comments:
Post a Comment