Monday, August 20, 2012

Soccer Mom

We finally caved.  All three girls are taking part in city league soccer this fall!  That means three separate leagues, three separate practices, three separate game schedules.  How do the parents of more than 3 kids manage?!  Unless the kids learn side-along-apparition we're going to have to work in some carpooling.

I do love the photo ops though.
Kate's team is called "The Skittles".  Kate's best friend and a couple other friends from school are on her team.  She has had half dozen practices so far and loves it.


Lizzie's team is "The Wild Cats".  She is an enthusiastic player and has already made a bunch of friends.  I love seeing the grins on their faces for the sheer joy of playing.  


Lizzie played goalie in their little scrimmage the other evening.

Sabrina's team hasn't been named yet, but the coach did like Sabrina's suggestion: "The Rampaging Ballerinas".  During Kate's first practice both Lizzie and Sabrina needed to go to the bathroom.  So we had to get in the car and drive somewhere with a public bathroom.  Kate's team was practicing shoelace kicks and the coach had been talking to them about pointing their toes like ballerinas.  As we circled wide to stay out of the way I told L and S to look out for those rampaging ballerinas.  The girls liked the name.


I like the "magic trick" in the top, center ;)

Lizzie and Sabrina, in particular, are all sorts of competitive.  Not in an aggressive way, but in a rather amusing way.  During their warm-up run around the field both of them pushed to "come in first".  When Sabrina was supposed to be dribbling the ball to one end and back again she nearly left her ball behind once because she wanted to be "first".  During they skirmishes neither has been bothered by things like "scores", but the familiar idea of coming in first has stuck.

Finally, a few random pictures related to soccer practices.  Sabrina can cross every set of monkey bars she has met (including a set that turns halfway across that always trips Kate up).  Her practices didn't start until a few days ago, so she had a lot of playgrounds to play on while waiting through her sisters' practices.



I never played competitive sports as a kid.  In fact, I avoided all sports as much as possible.  I play all sports the way I play dodge-ball.  Don't let the ball touch me.  It makes me pretty lousy team player since my reflex is to run from the ball ;)  Instead I was a dancer.  From the time I was about Kate's age until the time I started dating Michael I was most often taking at least one dance class.  I am familiar with dance and working with groups that way.  This whole "ball" thing is foreign territory.  I spent the week before practice started totally wound up because even the thought of my kids playing (not even me!) was making me nervous.  Talking to Kate's coach and watching her play calmed me down, though.  She's not the fastest, most accurate, or strongest.  She's also not the worst in any of those categories.  She is a good teammate, responsible and friendly, and tries hard though, and seems to fit in comfortably in the team.  Hopefully this will continue to be a good sport to be involved in.  Especially now that we have the jerseys (which are the same every year for every team.  This city rec department is brilliant.), the shin guards, proper socks, shorts, cleats, etc.  Well, we're still missing cleats for Sabrina.  Anyone have a spare pair of youth size 12 cleats lying around?  I swear I've found every other size possible, but no size 12s!

Tomorrow evening each of the girls has her first game!  I'm sure more pictures will be forthcoming over the next several weeks.

No comments: