Thursday, January 6, 2011

Welcome to 2011

 Finally I have finished putting together the pictures for our ode to the New Year.  I currently involved in some knock-down-drag-out fight with a nasty cold, but here it is, finally:
We celebrated the New Year with my family, as usual.  My sister and her family from Nebraska were able to be here which was very exciting.  Sadly there were two or three people on antibiotics for strep and two more who missed out because they were sick.  Some nasty bugs going around!

Here is the "upstairs" party which was pretty quiet and relaxed.
 As opposed to the downstairs party which involved the Wii, a puzzle, and a fair amount of hilarity.
 As the evening wore on we all gathered outside for The Burning of The Goat.  I'll include the video also.  If you listen through the video you'll hear the explanation of how the goat burning came to be an integral part of our New Years un-Resolutions.



Then Joe and Amy (who spearheaded this year's celebration) did a crash course on helicopter piloting.  (Remember the lit-up plastic helicopter toys that the girls got from Grandma?).  Only one toy was lost on the roof!  And they were beautiful.

Finally the clock struck 12 and out came the bubbly.  It had be set outside to keep cool, but as soon as it was opened it froze!  As the carbon dioxide left the apple cider the freezing point of the juice rose so it started freezing (okay, I'm not smart enough to have through that all up, Dr. Matt explained it to us.)  Freezing sparkling cider doesn't stay in the bottle, in case you were wondering.

Eliza's eyes began to droop and many others watched out the front window to see the occasional firework, and the new year was officially here.
Jens (bottom left) opened the back door to shout "Happy New Year, World!"

Indeed, I hope it is a happy one for all.

No comments: