Wednesday, August 28, 2013

May, Family Camp

Reunions in my mom's family have always been camping.  Therefore: Family Camp.  There were even some tents involved (the teenage boys slept in tents in the back yard).  Naturally I took a thousand... or so... pictures.  Here is a small sampling of the pictures featuring my little family as part of my big family!

We met at SUU (local college) where my brother in law teaches.  We had lunch and the kids went on a crazy campus-wide scavenger hunt.  The smallest kids even got a Dora themed (their favorite) smaller version of a scavenger hunt.





Then we played a series of "Minute to Win it" games.  The teams were planned ahead of time to make even groups with old, young, gimpy (that was me), and from each family. Everyone had a chance to play, right down to the youngest who wanted to play!




The church building where we played the games was just on the other side of my sister's family's yard.  They set up a ladder to make the trip shorter for those who were walking. :)  After dinner we drove up Kolob Canyon.  It was gorgeous!



I nabbed some pictures of the group up a small trail.  I was doing far more than I should have so my pain and stiffness was pretty intense.  That meant that I couldn't scout out any more ideal location for the shot.  It seemed to work okay, though.  I also caught each of the families on their own.  Unfortunately, the picture of our family didn't work out, so we had to catch ours at a different location when we discovered what had happened.
(This picture needs some editing, but that's just how it is today.)

Michael hung out with me while everyone else was on a short hike.  I wish I'd been able to go with them, though, since I saw some fantastic pictures from up there!  At least we had the tripod and a lovely backdrop from the parking lot too.




Sunday we all went to church together.  In the evening we had a nice meeting where the teens took turns talking to us about things they have learned and how they have handled challenges in their lives.  It was impressive.  They're great kids.  In the evening most everyone went up the canyon again to have a campfire.  Lizzie was very proud to have learned how to use small rocks to split a log.  Apparently she used the method to split an impressively sized log all on her own!

After tidying up on Monday morning, we all went to a fun park.  We played, ate lunch, flew kites, shot water bottle rockets, and generally had a really nice time.  Gradually we made our way back and headed home.


Chinese kites are the absolute best!!!  They work even in low wind conditions!

Our drive home: the girls watched a movie, curled up in blankets and pillows, and snacking.  It was a very proper road trip, even if it was only a few hours long.

Happy Vacation!

No comments: