Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Elizabeth's Baptism

NOTE: I was going to break this up into a few posts, but I've had such a hard time finishing things on here that when I got some momentum I decided I'd better ride it out!  Yes, it is long.  But most of it is pictures of my little Sunshine, so it's not so bad :)

For her eighth birthday, Lizzie got a fancy white dress.  She asked specifically for a while dress to wear the day of her baptism.  Aunt Karla took pictures of Lizzie at the Museum of Art.




When we got home I wanted to try a couple of things I'd just remembered, so of course I took a few photos too.

Lizzie's hair has grown quickly in the last year.  The longest layers are nearly waist length now!  I wanted a hairdo that would keep her hair controlled and tidy during the baptism, and also not take long to dry or tidy up immediately following the baptism when people are waiting.  Thus: the Dutch braided halo.  This also happens to be the way my hair was done when I was baptized a few decades ago.  This worked perfectly in Lizzie's hair, and I love the white flowers pinned in.

I took these pictures just before we left the house on Saturday morning.  Lizzie is wearing the same baptism dress Kate wore two years ago, and the same one I wore once upon a time -- as well as countless cousins, aunts, and various relations and friends of relations.  


 Here is Lizzie just before the baptism program began:

...and Lizzie with Grandma Jensen, Grandpa and Grandma Southern, Aunt Jenny and Aunt Janice, and of course with Dad and Mom.  I thought this dress was long on Kate, but on Lizzie she was just tall enough to keep the hem from trailing on the floor.

Daddy carried Lizzie in from the car, since she was barefoot at that time and the ground was already getting hot.


I slipped my camera out of my purse in the dressing room and took the picture below just before helping Lizzie change immediately after being baptized.  SUCH a huge grin on her face!

While we were taking the pictures in the baptism dress at home, just before leaving that morning, we kept hearing a persistent cooing.  I looked up and saw a bird perched on the top of our house.  I did double check and yes, it's a Turtle Dove, also known as the Mourning Dove.  The dove's call was absolutely beautiful.  I've never seen or heard one here before or since, but it was very special that morning.



Previous baptisms have ended around lunch time and been followed by a luncheon.  Since Lizzie's baptism was scheduled for 9:00 AM it seemed silly to have a full luncheon at 10am.  So instead I made hundreds of mini-muffins and people brought various fresh fruits.  It was a lovely brunch! 

We had an incredible amount of family with us at Lizzie's baptism.  Only one family was unable to be there.  Ironically, they're also the only ones who couldn't be there when Michael and I were married!  (Yes, I'm sure they like us -- they had a baby the day after we were married, and had just been here a few weeks before the baptism, and needed to trek back across the country to be home).  

A member of our Primary presidency caught me on Sunday in the hallway and told me how amazed she was by our family.  First, that we had so many family members who came to celebrate Lizzie's choice to be baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and take part in the event.  Second, that all those children (there were several dozen) were there in Sunday best.  Little boys in white shirts, little girls in dresses.  Third, she was impressed by the reverence and the Spirit present during the baptism.  I absolutely agree: it was wonderful.


It was hotter outside than I'd counted on, and we were (perpetually!) short on chairs.  I never even remembered to gather up the ones we had inside the house!  Oh well, there were at least two whole feet of shade at the east edge of the backyard.

I had found several thrifted platters which I then compiled into two tiered platters filled with over half-dozen varieties of mini muffins.  The chocolate-chocolate chip muffins were the only ones that were completely gone by the end, but they all seemed to be well enjoyed.  Delicious!

Lizzie got her own fancy set of scriptures with her name on them from Mom and Dad.  She also got a memory book, which people were able to sign for her, a special temple block, scripture stickers, a book about the Holy Ghost, some lovely cards, and a whole lot of love.

Thank you to all of you who were there in person or in spirit.  Lizzie has been so excited about being baptized and being confirmed with the gift of the Holy Ghost.

1 comment:

nora.lakehurst said...

Look how lady like I am sitting. LOL Im such a woman. Bwahahahaha.
Anyways we were really impressed with Lizzie and all of the kids during the baptism. It was a beautiful day. I think Nina was having a hard time with everyone gaking over Lizzie. But ya know. She will be one of the ones next year. Hazzah