Friday, September 24, 2010

another update.

I think it has now been over 48 hours since my surgery.  It was expected to take 45 minutes to an hour though it *might* have to be done as an open surgery instead of laparoscopic.  In the end the surgery took nearly 3 hours, had to be done through an incision about 5-6" long, and left me with 4 fewer inches of the transverse colon.

Apparently after entering with the scope the surgeon could not find the tumor.  So he had to open me up to go huntin'.  Even opened it was hard to see the tumor.  He could feel it, though, and recognize it.  Rather than being 1x3 centimeters in largeness it's 2 1/2 cms in diameter which is more than double what he was expecting!  The tumor was also entangled with some significant vessels heading to the transverse colon and was growing through it too (assuming I am remembered this right!)

I was finally taken to the recovery area, then up to my room for the duration of my stay. 

Then things started to get a bit nerve wracking.  My temperature went up (nearly 103!), my blood pressure went way down (mine is usually around 110ish/65ish to about 97/46.  My pulse rate went up (currently about 125) and my oxygen sats went down (I keep pushing the edge just close enough that I am stuck with the cannula for a few hours, then off, the back on...  that tickles the inside of ones nose SO much!!!  Also my white blood cell count was elevated but today is now the almost normal(after 3? 4? MEGA doses of antibitics.).

This morning my doctor told me that yesterday was really worried.  My body was just screwed up!  Now they've done additional xrays of my lungs to rule out pneumonia, a few more sets of blood work so they can see trends in my blood work.  I;m still crazy exhausted, practically narcoleptic, and highly confusable. 

Oh and despite the fact that the final pathology reports are still out there, he has all but crossed-his-heart-hop-to died that the tumor was in fact a GIST.  Good news is that they can respond easily to treatments.  Bad news is that they're hard to find and usually arent found until they're quite large.  Mine is near the low end of middle size.

Michael and I each received a Father's Blessing on Sunday which was very clear that there are things I still have to do.  It may be a few week still they've decided on which protocol will be the best one to treat this situation.

I hope that at least cleared things up a bit.  I am typing with the pulse-ox monitor and at least 80% asleep.  WIll update again when there;s something new to add in or answer question.

Love you
<3 <3 <3

1 comment:

ems said...

YIKES! Sounds like you've had fun lately. I'm so sorry Janelle, I hope you will be able to come home soon and that the diagnosis comes back not too bad. Good luck!