Thursday, May 27, 2010

A shade from the past


Sorry about all the smudges in the pictures, there was a lot of glare in the dining room when I was trying to take the picture. I made these sillhouettes yesterday and today of my three little girls.

I took pictures of them each from the side, converted them to black sillhouettes, stretched them to the preferred size on my monitor and traced them each off onto freezer paper (it's been months and I still don't have a printer, so I improvise :P ). I cut them out carefully, ironed the edges onto the fabric I used as a "canvas", and painted them in. I wanted to use black, but I don't have any black paint on hand. And I'm impatient. So I did it in dark brown instead. Then today I stopped at D.I. (thrift store) and bought three 8x10ish frames for $1.50 each. I brought them home and used the same brown paint to make the frames match. (They're all different frames if you pay attention). Each picture has the girl's name and the year written on it. Then I stapled a pink ribbon to the back and hung them on the wall.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm sold on the pink ribbon, but I can easily change that if I decide to. It's interesting to me to see the similarities and differences in these sisters. If you look really close you can actually see Sabrina's eyelashes! I'm such a lucky mama :)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Those are really cute!

Jan said...

Wow, you are talented Janelle, especially to be resourceful with what you have!

They turned out really cute!

Tami said...

Very cute!