Every night I sit in a rocking chair in the girls' room and read a short story or a chapter of a book to them while they settle down to go to sleep. Sometimes I'll even just tell a story or recite a little verse. There is one that is their all-time favorite. It is one that I remember my mom reciting to us from time to time when I was young. Her mother used to recite it to them when she was young. In fact, I remember my grandfather reciting it to us sometimes when we came into town to visit. The alliteration and rhythm of the verse is so soothing. Tonight the girls were pretty wired from an exciting day, but by the time I was done Sabrina and Lizzie were both snoozing comfortably and Kate didn't last much longer.
![]() |
| From 2007-05 |
The verse is recited rhythmically -- slowly and quietly -- starting with the first line, then the second line followed by the first, then third - second - first, etc. The same sort of way "The 12 Days of Christmas" goes.
I was curious tonight and did a quick search and found half-dozen variations, none the same as this generational rhyme:
One ox opening oysters
Two toads totally tired of trying to trot to Tudbury
Three tigers taking tea
Four fair furriers flying to France for fashion
Five fat friars fanning a fainting fly
Six Scotch sailors sighing to see Seville
Seven Spanish soldiers severally shooting squirrels
Eight English ensigns eagerly eating eggs
Nine nimble nights nicely nipping a nun
Ten tipsy tinkers trying to turn a tap
Eleven elegant elephants eating at Exeter Exchange
Twelve tumbling tumblers tippling topsy-turvy
Sleepy yet?
| From 2008-12 |

1 comment:
This is still a favorite of mine too.
Post a Comment